Ari Frank (Melodeum records). Electronic French music in Chicago.


1)What has been the path of Ari as an artist between France and United States? Why did you move so far from Europe?

My relationship between France and Chicago and their respective cultures is what shaped me as an artist but also in my everyday life. As a kid I moved from Chicago to Italy and the South of France in the late 80s. I absorbed a wide variety of music during that time which shaped my ear as an adult. This includes popular French and Italian music but also ethnic genres like Flamenco, Ska, Raï, Salsa, Cuban, adn Israeli music. When the mid-90s hit, I was obsessed with French and US Rap and the raw funky feel that I was getting from it. I even started recording mixtapes for myself and my friends to make the daily commute to school a bit more fun. Without realizing it, in a way that was my first exposure to sampling, editing, and recording, which I absolutely loved doing. I would even spend hours listening to the radio waiting for a specific track to drop and chop it. This is how I discovered DJ Cut Killer, the art of scratching, and the DJ culture as a whole. In parallel this is also around the same time when French House music was blowing up. So at 16, I was going out to clubs and for the first time we were hearing music from newcomers like Daft Punk, St. Germain, Motorbass, Alan Braxe, Fred Falke, Dj Gregory, and Étienne de Crécy. Even late-night radio was playing techno from Laurent Garnier, Jeff Mills, Francois K, Moby, Chemical Brothers, Miss Kittin, Fatboy Slim, and The Prodigy. 
Eventually my passion for music and entertaining culminated into a real interest in DJing when I befriended the resident DJ at a club next door to the restaurant which I worked at. He would let me shadow on weekends as he mixed disco and house using one of those old Denon CD rackmounts and two turntables. Immediately I fell in love with that energy and the atmosphere on the dance floor. I knew that DJing was going to be an integral part of my life in some fashion. 
When I turned 18 I moved back to Chicago and a couple years later I discovered the local underground world. This is really what triggered me to take my passion for DJing to the next level.

2)What was the idea Between Melodeum? Are there any particular references or musical inputs? How the label is born?

I founded Melodeum Records in 2019 after being involved with promotion groups like Tied (Chicago) and Legotek (Tel Aviv) for many years.The idea was simply to put out the type of music that I enjoy playing as a DJ and have total creative freedom while doing so. With Melodeum the focus is staying authentic to the underground and showcasing master Producers who have acquired a specific analogue signature sound. This can range from stripped down house to minimal techno or anything in between. All the while putting a heavy emphasis on the dance floor. Actually, before releasing an EP, I try to picture it being played out and if it will get people dancing. That’s one of my most important criterias.
As a DJ and vinyl collector, I can spend hours, even days at a time researching music that I want to share with an audience. I spend that amount of time digging because it’s a labor of love for me and I want my sets to be special. For Melodeum I took the exact same approach. A lot of attention goes into the quality of the vinyl press, the analogue mastering, and the overall design concept. I collaborate with the best professionals in each field to deliver a record that truly stands out from the moment you see the jacket to when you drop the needle.
The producers who appear on the label were chosen because they fit with this concept and have an honest, easy-going attitude - which is important to me as well. This applies to our releases and our podcast series alike. We’ve been blessed to have released from Producers such as Herck, Alci, Nima Gorji, Birdsmakingmachine, Roluce, and Christian Burkhardt. We’re still in the infancy stages but my goal with Melodeum is to curate a dope platform for artists to showcase their best work and eventually turn this thing into a family affair with a tight core of rotating artists.
In terms of what’s next for Melodeum, we’re about to drop an amazing limited press from Terence :Terry: in a couple weeks.This is a 3 track EP with all the raw housy vibes that we came to expect from the French OG.We’re also excited to start working with Yoyaku on the logistical side of the business and we actually just announced that we’re making a few early EPs available for download on Yoyaku’s curated “AZE” platform.

3)How is the electronic scene now in Chicago compared to New York, is it still the place to be for House music and underground parties & small labels? Is there a Resolute after-party in Chicago?

Chicago and New York’s underground cultures are very different as you can imagine.I’ve played at clubs and afterhours in both cities and both are loads of fun.They are meccas for our scene so they take the music and underground culture seriously which is key. I’ve met some amazing people at parties in both Chicago and New York who’ve become lifelong friends actually. But talking purely in terms of the specific type of music that we love, from my perspective New York set the standard for underground parties in the early 2000s. It’s difficult for other cities to compete with NYC’s massive crowd potential which is a huge benefit for them. On the flip side, Chicago does a bang up job on a smaller scale and the vibe is more intimate. An artist who plays here will feel a closer connection to the crowd and maybe have the opportunity to play a bit out of the “box”.
All that said, Covid had a reset effect on the US circuit and we’re seeing cities like Miami, Chicago, and Austin gaining a lot of ground. It will be interesting to see what pans out in coming years.

4)Can you give us a short description of your sound as DJ/producer? How did you connect with Terence :Terry:? Are there any others releases /projects you want to mention from you or the label?

Currently I’m most inspired by European producers and old school Detroit and Chicago labels. During a set I’m going to showcase my range and keep it funky with a high intensity level. A performance should always be about the energy that the crowd gives back so I work to see heads bobbing, people dancing, and smiling faces. Actually, I just recorded a 3-hour mix for radio BLV in France which is on my soundcloud now and is a good example of the type of records I play.
I discovered his music years ago when he was putting out bombs on Freak n’ Chic, La Vie En Rose, and Appolonia records. I could tell that there was something special and original about his vibe and when I recognize someone's talents I keep them in my mental rolodex. Fast forward years later, I was planning the release schedule for Melodeum and knew that he could be a perfect addition to the family. Terry represents that authentic sound and approach to electronic music that I described earlier so it made perfect sense to reach out to him
2022 is going to be a super busy year for Melodeum. We will be welcoming Tuccillo (a gem of a producer) who composed a fantastic 4 track banger EP which will be available in June. Then later this summer Ryan Crosson will be reviving his Berg Nixon moniker from his Minus days for his first release on Melodeum. We’re also expanding our team and have a few other surprises in the works so overall feeling stronger than ever about what’s to come. Stay tuned!

5)Give us five favorites YouTube music links, any style that represents the world/style of Ari Frank ?