Kamron & his collective Hot Mess made in Melbourne (Australia) 



1)What has been the path of Kamron as an artist between England and Australia ?Why did you move so far from Europe ?


I’ve been DJing for around 10 years or more now. I started playing in Manchester all over the city and also on a weekly basis at a club called South. My housemate at the time was running a night there which took off massively, we were playing to a sold out club every Tuesday night so that was really the thing that helped me cut my teeth as a DJ and made me comfortable playing to a full room fairly early on in my career. 


While I was living in Manchester I was also working for the Warehouse Project and Parklife Festival as an Artist Liaison and Stage Manager. I absolutely loved this job! I was studying Events Management at Uni and was observing and being involved in the inner workings of one of the biggest night time events in the UK every week. As well as this meeting so many cool people and watching some of my favourite artists and inspirations play from the stage was an amazing education and I wish I could still be doing it now! 



I moved to Australia in 2017, I was just a bit bored of life in England and wanted a change. It was one of the best decisions i’ve made, I love it in Melbourne. It’s a beautiful country with great people and we have a wicked crew over here as well so whilst I really miss my friends and family back home I feel like I have another home now too. 


In terms of production, I have only been actually producing music since April 2020. Whilst living in Australia is great, the visa situation is sometimes difficult, I got stuck in a loophole in the system when lockdown hit which meant I wasn’t allowed to work for a while. I thought there is never going to be a better time to get stuck into Ableton and i’m so pleased I did. It instantly felt like something I should have been doing for 10 years already and now i’m addicted. 


2)We are hearing a lot about Hot mess, all the Europeans DJs are making a stop there ? How was this party born ? Is it a collective ? Party or Label ? Main difference about the electronic the scene between Sydney & Melbourne ?

That’s good to hear! We’ve had some wicked parties and amazing guests so far like Dan Ghenacia, Alec Falconer, Pierre Codarin and Okain to name a few. I can’t wait to see where we are in 5 years time or something like that. 


Hot Mess was born really out of my frustration really. I moved to Melbourne completely on my own and when I got here I was sending mixes out to people etc. and not really getting anywhere. I also noticed that there was a bit of a musical gap for the kind of sounds I wanted to hear. The scene in Melbourne is very techno focused, some industrial but a lot of melodic techno which is not really my thing. In Sydney they are very into their house and minimal but for me Melbourne is a better city to live in. After a while I just thought fuck it, I’m going to start something, so I did! 


The first party went way better than I could have hoped for and it has pretty much carried on from there. I now have two friends involved in Hot Mess with me, it was 4 of us but one had to go home when COVID hit unfortunately. Every party we have done has been wicked and the most pleasing thing about it is it really feels like we are bringing people together. We have made a lot of new mates through the parties and connected with a lot of like minded people, which when you are on the other side of the world to home, is very cool. 


We have also launched Hot Mess as a label recently on Bandcamp with the first release also my own first release. We will be putting out Friends & Family vol. 1 sometime close to Christmas which will be a 6 tracker from all Melbourne based artists we have met through running Hot Mess which I’m really looking forward to. I have a few of the tracks in already and it’s going to be a bomb EP so keep an eye out for it!


3)Can you give us a short description of your sound as DJ/producer ? How did you connect with Terence :Terry: ? Are there any others releases /projects you want to mention ?


My sound as an artist I would say is definitely 90’s influenced, trippy and driving. For me I don’t really like genre’s but i’d probably say house is in the middle of my scale and it tips either side to garage, electro, minimal and a few other bits and bobs thrown in for good measure. I have always listened to a broad spectrum of music for as long as I can remember so I feel like that comes out in my sets and productions. 


I think myself and Terry connected through our mutual friend Greg (Pepperpot) we just started sending each other tracks and it went from there. 


In terms of other releases and projects I already mentioned our next Hot Mess release above. I’ve not sent much music out yet to be honest but I am going to get things moving properly for 2021. I am also working on potentially starting a little festival with my friend next year which is still in early stages but things are feeling good. If it comes off it will probably be the best event i’ve put together in my life so far and very special so fingers crossed!


4)Give us five favorites YouTube music links, any style that represents the world/style of Kamron ? 


Ok i’ll give you some old and some new, cause that’s normally what you hear from me when I play. 












Facebook: 

https://www.facebook.com/kamronmusic

https://www.facebook.com/hotmessmelbourne

Soundcloud: 

https://soundcloud.com/kamron_music

https://soundcloud.com/hotmessmelbourne 

Instagram: 

https://www.instagram.com/kamron_music/

https://www.instagram.com/hotmessmelbourne/